June 23, 2011

DIY | tissue paper lanterns

When I got home from school in May, my grandfather asked me what I wanted to do with my life now that I was graduated.  I shrugged, and responded that one day I’d like to have my own party/event planning business.  Then he told me the decorations for the family reunion were my responsibility 😉

I’ve had a lot of fun putting various decorations together (and still have lots to do…can someone say procrastimaster?).  At some point, I decided on a color theme of bright pink, yellow and orange (and some lime here and there).  Just bright and summery.

So far, these lanterns are my favorite project.  The idea came from Martha Stewart Living.  Here are some pictures of the process.

After cutting out hundreds of tissue paper disks, I still have thousands to do.  I only have 2 of 9 lanterns made.  Ahhhh.  I was going to use this handy dandy scrapbook kit circle cutter, but it ended up ripping the tissue paper.  So, I reverted to reliable scissors.  Which infinitely slow down the process.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this little sneak peek into what my life will look like until Sunday.  🙂

Enjoy your Thursday!

1. Christina

June 23rd, 2011 at 2:20 pm

These are so happy and summery! They will look amazing hanging from the tent. Can't wait to see how beautiful it all looks!

2. Sarah

June 23rd, 2011 at 3:51 pm

These are so cool! They kind of make me think of owl feathers =)

– Sarah

June 23rd, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Ha ha, you're right Sarah, they kinda do look like owls. 😉

4. Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat.

June 23rd, 2011 at 6:19 pm

The things that take the most work are the most rewarding…keep telling yourself that 🙂

XO
    Lenore

5. Suzzie V

June 23rd, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Holy cow! That must take forever. But the end result it so awesome 🙂

6. Fork

June 25th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

What a fun project! They look amazing!

7. Gloria

June 29th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Haha I totally cut out that photo as well for party inspiration 🙂 Yours came out fabulous – love the colors!

8. Anonymous

March 8th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Hey,
    one question about this stunning project: how did you fix the papers at the lamp? I'm just wondering if the heat of the lamp will melt the glue?
    Thanks for your answer and love from germany! 🙂

March 8th, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Thanks so much for reading from Germany!!! I actually used double-sided tape, which worked wonderfully!! Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂