September 26, 2011

DIY | dip-painting coffee/tea service set

I am thrilled at how my dip-painting experiment turned out!  What do you think?
I few weeks ago I picked up two sets of Bodum creamer and sugar bowls at my favorite thrift store in Northern VA (for about $1/set).  When I decided to try my hand at dip-painting, I knew these stainless steel containers would work well.  I also tried a drinking glass and a wooden bowl, neither of which were a success.
All you have to do is place your paint (I used water-based acrylic paint, but oil based paint would probably work better) in a plastic container (large enough to fit your object).  Then, using a clothespin as your “handle”, dip the object into the paint (I wanted a diagonal line, but horizontal is nice too).  Last, hang your object on string to dry (with the clothespin) with something to catch the drips underneath.
Give it a try – it’s fun, and the results are fantastic.

1. adele

September 26th, 2011 at 9:07 am

Great results…fab idea xoxo

2. Colleen / Inspired to Share

September 26th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Awesome, love!!!

3. Gloria

September 26th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Love how mod they look – this is an awesome idea!

4. Sarah

September 26th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

What a fun idea that adds SO much flair to making coffee and decorating the kitchen. Good job!

– Sarah

5. Kirsteen

September 26th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

What a great idea! They look gorgeous!

6. sherri lynn

September 26th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I saw this idea in Martha Stewart Living and thought it looked really good. Yours turned out great!

7. Victoria

September 27th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Yours look great. Love this idea more every time I see it:)

8. Adriane

September 27th, 2011 at 6:22 pm

hey there! this is Nicole's sister Adriane…nice to meet you!

I have been coming to a daily something for a month or so now…every week or so to see what new things you have been up to…your blog is so cute/fresh/creative!!

Just wanted to say hi!

-Adriane@ fruitfulhomejournal.blogspot.com

9. Erika [small shop]

September 28th, 2011 at 4:40 am

I am constantly inspired by your creativity! I have never even thought of doing this before, but I've always loved the gold dipped set from DWR. You did such a great job on these!!

10. Amanda

September 28th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

These are wonderful! Love the color you picked!