December 6, 2011

DIY | Christmas letter banner

This is one of my favorite DIYs I’ve ever put together – using only ribbon from the Hagerstown ribbon factory, metallic gold pipe cleaners and neon pink duct tape.

I simply formed the letters by cutting, twisting and bending the pipe cleaners.  Then I cut strips of the neon pink duct tape and taped the letters to the ribbon.  And voila – the banner is done!  (I also put the banner together using a hot glue gun and took some pictures without the duct tape strips – for a cleaner look.  It’s up to you!)  What I love about this banner: it’s no where near as time consuming as this cut-out letter banner.

What do you think?  Would you make this banner for your Christmas decorations?

Also, I’ve been redecorating my room the past few weeks, and was lucky enough to pick up this fantastic vintage globe for $4.  It’s a focal point in my room now, and I wanted to somehow incorporate it into my Christmas decorations.  What better way than to use it as the “world” in my “JOY TO THE WORLD” Christmas banner?

You know what I love most about this awesome globe?  It’s from 1954, and Russia is labeled “Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.”  Cool, huh?

P.S. Niina – what do you think?  🙂

1. Victoria

December 6th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Love this DIY! We used twisted pipe cleaners to spell out names on presents in lieu of gift tags last year. Anyway you use them the metallic ones look great!

2. Jenny @ Hank + Hunt

December 6th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Such a cute idea! I need gold pipe cleaners now! I like the addition of the hot pink neon duct tape!

December 6th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

the globe wakes me up to realize what 'joy to the world' is all about – that every nation has reason to sing praise over Jesus's birth. Too many times of singing the carol over and over dulled me. thanks for bringing it back to life 🙂

4. Kirsten @ Triple Max Tons

December 6th, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I seriously want to do this and put it over my couch….this is too cute (and easy!).

5. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com}

December 6th, 2011 at 5:27 pm

love this!! so cute. thanks for posting 🙂

6. cubicle57

December 6th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

This is right up my alley this christmas! Nice.

7. Lauren Margaret

December 6th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Love this!

8. la petite coquine

December 7th, 2011 at 12:59 am

How darling–and I love the vintage globe! I wonder what other goodies there are on it!

9. Colleen / Inspired to Share

December 7th, 2011 at 5:25 am

Ahh I love it!!! So simple and so, so cute!! The neon duct tape makes it awesome : )

10. You Are My Fave

December 7th, 2011 at 6:57 am

I just came across those sparkly pipe cleaners and knew I needed them for something. Great idea!

11. Niina - It seems pretty obvious.

December 7th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Finally! 😀 I LOVE it, of course! And I'm a bit jealous. I need to find one myself! And like you said the fact that it's from the former Soviet kind of make is extra cool 🙂

And by the way; I'm loving you DIY too!

12. jennifer

December 7th, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Gooood gracious. I can't stop scrolling through your blog! I absolutely love everything. Thanks for all of your tutorials, they are wonderful 🙂

13. tiny dancer

December 11th, 2011 at 12:41 am

Oooooo good idea! I've been thinking about making one of these banners 🙂 I'll def have to get the ball rolling and make one sometime 🙂

Tasia

14. Laura *You Stir Me*

December 13th, 2011 at 10:24 pm

this is pretty darn amazing! I love incorporating a little neon and sparkle into decor and certainly need more of it this time of year – love this little banner!

15. Lissa (Bellenza)

December 16th, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Great holiday decor idea! The combination of simplicity and sparkle is so endearing!

16. Kara

December 23rd, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I love this! Such a great idea to use the metallic pipe cleaners for a banner. Very creative.

I just found your amazing blog through Bri and have been going through a ton of the posts and basically pinned every one of your diy projects lol!

xx Kara