March 28, 2012

recipe | cafe au lait

Today I’m so excited to share a reader submission from Sarah of A Girl in Transit.  Sarah’s lovely blog documents her adorable life as a wife, and mommy to Samantha (and she’s expecting baby #2…yay!).  She put together this wonderful post + recipe for A Daily Something, and I have to say, I followed her recipe for the cafe au lait this weekend and it was heavenly!  If your Wednesday is anything like my Wednesday (chilly and rainy) this recipe is just perfect timing!  I want to curl up with a good book and drink another cafe au lait!

My absolute favorite job I had in highschool was being a barista at a coffee shop. Funny enough I’m not an avid coffee drinker, but I love specialty drinks. One that I make often is a cafe au lait. This drink consists of half coffee, half milk, and if desired, a shot of a flavored syrup. I like to top it off with whipped cream because I have a sweet tooth. Super easy and so comforting. Instructions below the photos.

Needed
– coffee maker or a French press (if using a French press, make sure the coffee beans are ground course)
– 1/2 cup flavored coffee
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1 oz of flavored syrup

– optional: whipped cream

Directions
Brew your favorite coffee. (A French press is handy because you can make a small amount of coffee instead of a whole batch). Add 1 oz of your favorite syrup into your coffee mug. Either steam, heat up on the stove, or microwave half a cup of milk to a hot temperature (140F). Add to coffee mug. Add the half cup of coffee to the milk and syrup in your mug.  Top with whipped cream. Enjoy with a sweet pastry!

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe and pretty photos, Sarah!

1. Anonymous

March 28th, 2012 at 10:22 am

It's actually cafe au lait…it means "Coffee with milk."

March 28th, 2012 at 11:32 am

hahaha, thanks for the catch.

3. Sarah

March 28th, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Yay! Thanks for having me. You are the sweetest. My photos will never be like yours, but I feel honored they got to be on your blog =)

– Sarah

4. Anonymous

March 28th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Girl that just looks so good! Can't you just move in please and make fritattas and shakes and decorate my place???
    – Jen Zayas

5. Amy Turman

March 28th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Yum! I love a good cafe au lait – this adds a tasty twist to a classic!

xoxo,
    mon amy

6. Amanda

March 28th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

These are so tasty and I never realized how easy to make! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

7. Alexa

March 28th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Sarah that looks amazing. I have a sweet tooth too, so this would be such a treat!

8. Daly

March 29th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

nice! 🙂 mydalydose.blogspot.com

9. {OLIVIA}

March 30th, 2012 at 2:40 am

yum!!!

10. Katrina {calikatrina.blogspot.com}

March 30th, 2012 at 6:25 am

Love Sarah! And YUM!! I need to have this tomorrow morning!

11. Your Southern Peach

April 1st, 2012 at 11:22 am

I recently found her blog too and really want to try those mini pies too.

12. Shawnee