April 15, 2013

recipe | zucchini spaghetti

My mom visited last week and made some zucchini spaghetti. I was so intrigued with the simplicity that I had to share it with you all (and it’s gluten free!)! She made hers without any sauce or tomatoes, but I wanted to add something more commonly associated with pasta to my dish.
This tasty meal is perfect for Spring and Summer; it doesn’t take long to prepare, and it’s light and refreshing. You could use a variety of seasonings or toppings, depending on what you have on hand, or what you might be serving it with.

Gather these simple ingredients:
– zucchini
– tomatoes
– garlic
– olive oil
– rosemary (or other fresh herbs)
– cheese (optional)
– salt and pepper

The key to this dish is using a peeler! Rather than slicing your zucchini, you’ll want to make long peels (only peel until you reach the seeds, then toss; keeping the seeds out of this dish will make it more like pasta!). I used three small zucchini and it cooked into a perfect dinner-sized portion for one person.

While you’re peeling your zucchini, heat up the oil and sliced garlic in a medium pan. Once the garlic is soft (but not browned), add the peeled zucchini. Turn the heat down to medium-low, and let the zucchini cook slowly. While you’re waiting, chop the tomatoes and grate some cheese.

Keep an eye on the zucchini; besides using a peeler to replicate spaghetti, the other key to this dish is not overcooking the pasta! Once it’s slightly tender, remove from heat. Toss with tomatoes, fresh herbs, cheese, and salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!

This was my first attempt at making spaghetti from a vegetable, and boy, was I surprised with how tasty (and easy) it was. And, my husband loved it. I will definitely be making this dish throughout the summer (I might even try grilling the zucchini). Have you ever made a healthier or gluten free alternative to pasta? Please share your recipe…
Have a wonderful Monday, friends!

1. Carolyn

April 15th, 2013 at 11:51 am

My oh my this looks delicious! And will definitely suffice my craving for veggie spaghetti until I get my spirooli!! Yum!

2. Jana Miller

April 15th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

You make this sound so easy..I'm going to give it a try!
    J

April 15th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Jana, it is! Let me know how you like it 🙂

4. BON+JOUR

April 15th, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Thank you so much for the inspiration! Looks like the perfect spring recipe 🙂

5. Milynn {Love + Whimsy}

April 15th, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Oh this looks absolutely delish! With a lot of folks cutting down on pasta (carbs), this really is a great alternative! Must try it soon!

6. Lindsey Hoover

April 15th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Vegetable based pasta is a very satisfying and stomach pleasing (for me) alternative to grain pasta. Thanks for sharing! My favorite thus far is made from spaghetti squash due to that fact that once it is cooked, you can simply spoon out pasta sized strands of the squash into a bowl and season!
    -Lindsey

7. Melyssa @ The Nectar Collective

April 16th, 2013 at 11:31 am

Whaaaaaat I've heard of spaghetti squash, but never knew you could make pasta from other veggies! I'm so curious about this now! Especially because I eat pasta like 5 time a week -____-
    Is it mushy? How does the consistency compare to regular pasta? What sauces would you recommend with it?
    Looking forward to trying this!

xoxo
    Melyssa

April 16th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi Melyssa! The zucchini can be as mushy or firm as you allow – I didn't overcook mine because I wanted a bit of a crunch. If I made thinner peels, the consistency would be closer to pasta made from grains…but I do think the peels (in general) help trick our brain into thinking it's pasta 😉 Also, for sauce, I recommend something like what I did…garlic, fresh tomatoes, some herbs & cheese. Light and springy!

9. Kristen

May 6th, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I made this yesterday for lunch and it was a smashing hit. Kirk and I enjoyed it while sitting outside watching the little guy play. Perfection! Thanks, Rebecca!

10. Florence

September 4th, 2013 at 11:01 am

Habe ich auch schon zubereitet und es hat sich gelohnt. Der ganzen Familie hat es super gut geschmeckt.