May 15, 2013

baby | handmade gifts

This past weekend, my mom hosted a beautiful baby shower for us! It was simply lovely – seeing my New Jersey family and friends, the menu (I mean, c’mon…Paula Dean french toast casserole?!), the sweet decorations (pink ranunculus everywhere), the wooden blocks made by each guest – every detail was perfect and I didn’t want the day to end.

Joe and I registered at a few stores for things we thought we needed. It’s difficult to know what to get for your baby, especially when everyone says different things are “essentials.” So, we registered for the basics – car seat, stroller, moses basket, swing, bath tub, some cute clothes, etc. It’s always nice opening a gift to see something you registered for…a tad expected because you essentially picked it out, but so appreciated, because you needed it and someone gave it to you as a gift!

When someone gives a handmade gift…what a precious surprise. A few dear friends gave us homemade gifts and I was blown away by their generosity and abilities to make such lovely presents for our baby girl.

The first and last photos are Doodads and Noodles, made by my friend Wendy and her son Joshua. You can check out some other Doodad and Noodles designs here, and even place an order!

The second photo is Henry the Hedgehog, made by my friend Savannah – I’m trying to convince her to open a shop and sell these!

The third photo is a knitted sweater made by Tia at Fibre and Spice. *hint* She takes orders. *hint* I cannot wait for our baby girl to wear her sweater this fall + winter.

Aren’t these gifts just adorable? What are some of your favorite handmade gifts (that you’ve given or received)?

1. Jana Miller

May 15th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

My favorite handmade gift was a crocheted blanket from a distant relative. I knew it had bee made with love and she gave it to my son when he was born. He loved to stick his fingers in all the holes. It became his blankie.
    Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

2. laurita purple

May 15th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

So pretty.. I like it!!

El blog de lauritapurple

3. Milynn {Love + Whimsy}

May 15th, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Wow these handmade gifts are beautiful! Your girl is going to love them!

4. Hannah.

May 15th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Oh wow, these are so beautiful and thoughtful. Handmade gifts are the best.

Hannah
    x

May 16th, 2013 at 11:01 pm

so lovely…all of them! i love making and receiving home-made gifts, they are so much more special, i think. your little one will be so stylin 🙂

6. maria

May 17th, 2013 at 1:07 am

these are really lovely! I'm all for handmade, natural and non-IT-gadgety-things for kids.
    These are so special. thanks for introducing me to Doodads and Noodles!

7. Kelli Murray

May 17th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

The sweater!!! Dying!
    What lovely gifts!
    xo Kelli
    kellimurray.com

8. Mat

May 23rd, 2013 at 7:28 pm

yeah very sweet indeed, i can see the little dudes liking these

9. Hilary

May 24th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

So lovely!! My best friend's mother has a sweet line of handmade children's sweaters as well. She felt's second hand wool sweaters in adult sizes and then re-contructs them into pieces for little ones… a brilliant idea, in my opinion! Her shop is still rather small but you can find her here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claraluzcreations?ref=search_shop_redirect

Loving all your updates on the baby to come!! I hope and pray for all the very best for your family as it grows. 🙂

10. honest company reviews

May 27th, 2013 at 7:34 am

I still use honest diapers – my son is wearing big ones now – and will use them until he is potty trained. As for the scent of the diapers, they smell like baby powder. Other diapers have an unpleasant odor to me.