March 7, 2018

A Capsule Kitchen | Essentials for the Minimalist Kitchen

I’m so incredibly thrilled to be sharing my Checklist for A Capsule Kitchen with you today! This is something that has been birthed over the past month or so, after researching for my Pantry Organization and Essentials. I loved the idea so much, I decided to extend it to the entire kitchen.

After the months of winter hibernation, I found our pantry in dire need of a good cleaning and paring down. We had 5-year-old canned peaches, about 6 jars of my husband’s back-up salsa (he buys multiple jars all.the.time. “just in case”), and a plethora of other expired, mouse-eaten (YUCK), and forgotten items. Part of my motivation to organize and beautify my pantry was the mice. So disgusting, I know, but an unfortunate reality in a 100-year-old home. Glass storage containers are not only gorgeous and less wasteful (especially if you’re already buying bulk pantry items), but they also help keep the mice out of flax seeds and oats (and literally everything else). It’s a win-win!

Like my old wardrobe, I realized I was using 20% of my kitchen 80% of the time. After loving my capsule pantry, I decided to apply it to my entire kitchen, to create A Capsule Kitchen. To develop a list of items and ingredients, the essentials, if you will, of a minimalist kitchen. To take this opportunity to bring order to my chaotic kitchen. Categorized and formatted beautifully, this free checklist is now available to the world! 🙂

Have you ever found yourself asking these questions:

• How do I simplify my life and especially my time spent in the kitchen?
  • How do I streamline my kitchen experience?
  • How do I fill my life with order?
  • How do I purge and keep only what brings me joy and I actually need?
  • How do I actually use what I have?
  • How to I make the best of my tiny kitchen space?
  • How do I live with less waste?

If you’ve been asking any of these questions, this CAPSULE KITCHEN CHECKLIST was created with you in mind. I want to help streamline your kitchen experience. I want to help you build an arsenal of Capsule Kitchen Recipes (most of my recipes fall under this category; more on this coming sooooon!) that work with your budget, your schedule, your life. I want to help you be prepared in the kitchen. To help you entertain spontaneously, to spend more time being intentional.

I want to help you as you curate the essentials for your prepared minimalist kitchen.

The checklist includes the following sections:

• Capsule Pantry: oils, vinegars, sauces; baking; dry goods; canned & prepared
  • Capsule Refrigerator: dairy; freezer; produce; condiments & extras
  • Capsule Tabletop: linen; place setting; serving ware; decor
  • Capsule Tools: stovetop, oven; utensils; appliances, gadgets; baking
  • Capsule Extras: spices; on the counter; bar; cleaning

My hope is to write in-depth posts on each of these main sections and their subsections! I could talk about a properly stocked kitchen for hour. No, for days. Maybe I should have A Capsule Kitchen workshop!?

This guide is meant to be a starting point. To guide you in your endeavors to build your Capsule Kitchen. Not everyone’s kitchen, eating, cooking, baking habits/needs are identical. So take this guide as what it is, a guide. Start here, and make it your own. You might hate coconut oil. If you don’t eat gluten, replace the items with gluten with your GF must-haves. If you need your toaster oven or microwave, add it to the list. If you don’t use a salad spinner, cross it off the list!

If you need a little inspiration and motivation to actually tackle your kitchen and apply these principles, join the next #ACapsuleKitchenChallenge. Over the course of 7 days, we will tackle our cupboards, pantry, refrigerator, etc., stock up at the farmer’s market and our local grocers, and then meal plan together, using our newly created, efficient Capsule Kitchens. 100s have said yes to this challenge, yes to beautiful, simple kitchens. You can join us here!

I so enjoyed speaking with friends and family and internet pals as I compiled this Capsule Kitchen Checklist, and I hope you find joy as you apply this philosophy to your kitchen. And I hope you never again have to make a last-minute, unplanned, arduous trip to the grocery store.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I feel like I do need to make one confession: these are not the only items we currently have in our kitchen. As a blogger, recipe developer, and a content creator, I have props. Lots of props. So, I have a few shelves and a small cupboard dedicated solely to my props. Besides those, the items you will find in our kitchen for our daily use will fall on the pages of this checklist.

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. A Daily Something | Pantry Essentials and How to Organize Your Pantry

March 9th, 2018 at 5:00 am

[…] I wrote lots more about the idea of A Capsule Kitchen and put together a free download to help you apply this concept to your kitchen! Read about […]

2. Frivolous Friday – Chasing Cozy

March 16th, 2018 at 11:01 am

[…] Interesting concept […]

3. Five Reasons You Should Entertain With A Cheeseboard | A Daily Something

June 27th, 2018 at 9:02 am

[…] especially if you have a well-stocked pantry and refrigerator (read more about how to create A Capsule Kitchen and have a prepared, minimalist kitchen). Keep items like Open Nature Water Crackers, Open Nature […]

4. How To Cultivate An Open Door Policy | A Daily Something

July 3rd, 2018 at 12:09 am

[…] I try to keep my pantry and refrigerator well-stocked. I put together A Capsule Kitchen checklist if you’d like to see what I keep on hand. If you have the essentials in your kitchen, you […]

5. A Capsule Kitchen Challenge | A Daily Something

September 18th, 2018 at 1:03 pm

[…] be starting by applying the #ACapsuleKitchen checklist to our kitchens. Then we’ll move on to restocking as needed over the weekend at […]

6. How To Style Open Kitchen Shelves for Autumn - A Daily SomethingA Daily Something

October 18th, 2018 at 7:36 pm

[…] know where to start or what to put on “display,” consider applying the principles of A Capsule Kitchen! A Capsule Kitchen is a checklist I developed earlier this year to help curate the essentials for a […]

7. Sherrie

October 24th, 2018 at 1:07 am

How do I get the download link after signing up?

October 25th, 2018 at 1:01 am

Hi Sherrie! You should have been emailed the link right away – did it come through? If not, please send me an email and I’ll get you the link ASAP! <3

9. Sofie

October 28th, 2018 at 3:34 pm

I didn’t get the link after signing up either. Really like your blog! 🙂

October 28th, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Hi Sofie! I’m so sorry that didn’t go through. I *think* we determined the problem… On the bottom of the mailchimp form where you enter your name & email, there are boxes that you need to check in order to receive communication from me (email, direct mail, etc). We had to do this to be in compliance with the GDPR. Let me know if you’re able to go back and try again! If not, please send me an email and I’ll get you the link ASAP! 🙂

11. Sherrie

October 29th, 2018 at 2:05 am

Hi, I’ve tried again a couple of times. It comes back and it comes back with a screen that says : Download your FREE Capsule Kitchen Checklist!

But it does not provide any kind of link.

November 12th, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Hi Sherrie! I’ve been having some difficulties with Mailchimp and their automatic delivery of the email containing the link to download A Capsule Kitchen Checklist. I emailed it to you directly, so please let me know if you’re still having difficulty accessing. I am so sorry for this trouble! <3 Rebecca

13. Rosie

March 2nd, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I didn’t get the link after signing up? Does it take a while?

14. Brandi

May 25th, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Hi there!
    I signed up for the newsletter but never received a checklist.

June 11th, 2019 at 10:54 am

Hi Brandi! I’m so sorry about the checklist; would you let me know if you received the checklist? My email service provider is telling me this email address (Bburgi15@gmail.com) received it, but I want to make sure 🙂 And sorry for the delay responding!

16. Ariel Reed

May 27th, 2019 at 6:40 am

Hi!- I love this idea and can’t wait to put it into practice. I also can’t access the link, would you mind emailing it to me? Thank you so much!!

June 11th, 2019 at 10:55 am

Hi Ariel! I’m so sorry for the difficulties you’ve had accessing the download! Would you let me know if you’ve received it yet? From my end it looks like the email went through, and I’d love to confirm with you 🙂 I’ll directly email it now, just to make sure! Hope it’s helpful! <3

18. Sam

July 30th, 2019 at 9:12 am

Hi there, I’d love to receive the checklist but after subscribing I never received it!

August 12th, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Hi Sam! Just checked and it looks like the email with the pdf checklist was delivered; please let me know if you are still having difficulty accessing the pdf! – Rebecca