DIY | Beeswax Lip Balm

Wednesday, January 21, 2015








We made this beeswax lip balm at the November A Daily Gathering Natural Decor + Beeswax Workshop.  It's simple to make, and really rewarding! This recipe is my favorite; not only does it work incredibly well, especially during these crazy dry winter months, but it smells (and tastes) pretttttty good. Just ask Zoe. Every time I put some on, she asks for some, and then promptly licks it off her little lips.

The lip balm makes a great gift - make a big batch and keep several jars on hand for whenever you might need an extra little something for someone. I made about 12 jars and gave it to all the women in my family for Christmas!

To make your own, gather the following:

Ingredients + Supplies
- 1/4 cup beeswax (I highly recommend Mountain Rose Herbs, it's affordable and cosmetic grade)
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- double boiler (or a sauce pan and a heat-proof bowl)
- glass jar/container for storing lip balm (these 79 ml Weck jars are my favorite)

Directions
Add beeswax, coconut oil, and olive oil to heat proof bowl. Place bowl over saucepan filled halfway with water. Heat water to simmer and allow beeswax mixture to melt. Remove from heat, and add honey and vanilla. Carefully pour into containers and allow to cool before covering. Enjoy!

Photos by Anna Clair Photography for A Daily Something

A Daily Gathering | Natural Decor + Beeswax Workshop

Tuesday, January 20, 2015



At the end of last year, I hosted a Natural Decor + Beeswax Workshop and a Seasonal Greenhouse Supper. I posted all about the dinner here, but today I'm sharing about the workshop itself and our wonderful sponsors! Morgan and Gillian helped with all the behind-the-scenes work leading up to and prepping for the workshop; they are so awesome and it was fun planning with them!

Morgan was our wreath and garland-making expert. She and her team foraged all the greenery and berries for the holiday decorations we made...I love that we used all local ingredients for the decor! Her team also made organically-shaped grapevine wreath forms for everyone - they were beautiful! All our students went home with a wreath and garland they made themselves. We also taught them how to make beeswax lip balm. Mountain Rose Herbs generously sent us beeswax for this portion of the workshop. It smells glorious, and made the softest lip balm. I'll be sharing the DIY for the lip balm tomorrow!

A huge thanks to our sponsors for the workshop: Gillian and her dad made wooden beads for everyone to make a necklace out of. I love these beads and wish I could make a necklace for everyone I know ;) Bomisch sent everyone my favorite forged iron shears; I use them for everything! Soul Makes sent beautiful Turkish soap! Square Trade Goods Co. provided us with hand poured, small batch candles - some of the best candle scents I've ever smelled - and some useful, well designed enamelware mugs for a few giveaways; everyone wanted to win! And Page Stationery generously provided the wintry print we gave each student.

I'm working on finalizing the A Daily Gathering schedule for the first half of the year, and plan on announcing the end of this month, so standby! We have some exciting workshops and dinners and partnerships in the works for 2015!

Photos by Anna Clair Photography for A Daily Something

Our Family of Four

Saturday, January 17, 2015




























Last week Lauren and Rachel from Sweet Root Village trekked out to Purcellville to take our family portraits. I didn't do a pregnancy announcement with Naomi (like Zoe's) so I definitely wanted to a family session after our little bundle arrived. I'm obsessed with these photos! They sent over about 400 photos and I had the most difficult time choosing my favorites... Which is why I'm sharing nearly 30 photos today!

I so highly recommend Sweet Root Village for your family portraits, and if at all possible, do it in your own home where you're most comfortable. And where your kids will be well-behaved. Just kidding. Zoe and Naomi were both crying for about 80% of the time Lauren and Rachel were here (Zoe may have had to be bribed with candy...gasp!) yet they managed to capture some beautiful moments the remaining 20% of the time. We had so much fun during this shoot, and we're incredibly blessed to have such creatively talented friends! Hope you enjoy this little glimpse into our lives as a family of four!

a daily something All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger