August 9, 2011

summer’s harvest

Summer is drawing to an end, which means it’s harvest time for many of our vegetables and produce.  One of the best things about this time of year, despite the thought of winter approaching, is fresh veggies.  Every. single. day.

All photos by Rebecca Beach for A Daily Something.

Over the past few years, my mom and brother-in-law (with some – probably reluctant – help from my siblings) have built an organic garden that is proving to be quite bountiful.

These pictures show yesterday’s harvest.  Without knowing any better, my little brother and sister picked the acorn squash and delicata squash too soon (they should be larger)…but they still look delicious.  I’m sure we’ll think of a way to use them, too!

Living at home this summer has so inspired me to be more like my mom.  Namely, she has set a wonderful example of making time for her family and cultivating a home for her children (and now her grandchildren, too!).  While there is an infinitely deeper real-life application, her hours of diligently tending are bearing much fruit, as seen in yesterday’s bountiful harvest.

Mom, [if you’re reading my blog today, and if you are wearing your reading glasses 😉 ] have I ever told you how much I want to be like you when I grow up?

1. Erika Lee Sears

August 9th, 2011 at 9:23 am

AWww so cute- it's always good to appreciate and be more like mom.. my mom on the other hand has gotten crazier and crazier over the years.. and I hope I don't catch it lol.

2. Casey

August 9th, 2011 at 10:59 am

That so sweet–I too want to be like my mom "when I grow up" (because at 26, I sometimes still feel like I haven't got anywhere close to being grown-up! lol). 😉

Those veggies look so tasty! I really want to garden one day, but have always had the worst luck (and now really no space to do it). My dad has been doing some container gardening this year and it's been so fun to hear about the amount of food they've harvested!

3. jillian m.

August 9th, 2011 at 11:12 am

These veggies look so fresh and vibrant! Yum.

And you're message to your mom is very sweet. I'm sure this will put the biggest smile on her face.

4. erin

August 9th, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I'm so jealous! My veggies are just starting to show up, so it will be a few weeks before I can pick them (we had a late spring here in Minnesota this year). There's nothing better than veggies fresh from the garden!

5. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking

August 9th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

These completely put my puny veggie patch to shame (I recently picked 5 of the beans that I didn't manage to kill!) It's really rewarding to grow your own veg!

6. Jen

August 9th, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Great styling!

7. Hannah {Culture Connoisseur}

August 9th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Love those little patty pan squash. They are so cute I just want to put them in my pocket!! I've never eaten one though…to me it would be like eating a little bunny rabbit, not sure if I could do it. 🙂

So sweet your little note to your momma. 🙂

8. Alexa

August 9th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Fresh veggies are the absolute best! Beautiful photos too!
    xo
    Alexa

9. Stephanie @ henry happened

August 9th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

What a sweet post! Love that mom shout out 🙂 And the garden sounds fantastic – your photos always make everything looks so yummy!

10. Elizabeth .: Have Your Cake Blog

August 9th, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Everything looks delicious! We're moving and I hate to leave my garden behind.

Come by and enter my K. Amato jewelry giveaway if you like:
    just click here

11. Andrea@Fancy That!

August 9th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

My townhouse can't handle a garden, but I sure love getting fresh tomatoes and zucchini from friends!

12. Christina

August 9th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

oh my goodness! this is my all-time favorite post!! beautiful pictures, and the sweetest text. we do have the best mommy ever!! and what a great BIL to help out with the garden. 😉

13. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com}

August 9th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

awww, sweet, sweet! i'm sure your mom is so proud of you 🙂

14. sherri lynn

August 9th, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Such a sweet post! The produce all looks great!

15. Blue

August 9th, 2011 at 7:20 pm

These look amazing. And I have to go to the boring old grocery store. Ugh.

16. Meg {henninglove}

August 9th, 2011 at 10:29 pm

how wonderful, those veggies look great. and what a lovely tribute to your mom, you are a wonderful daughter!

17. Anna. Kathryn Vaughn

August 10th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I'm so jealous. My maw-maw raised a beautiful garden. I miss her patti pan squash so much. Any time I see some, I buy it all.

18. Tara

August 11th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I love how you take photos! What font do you use…?

19. Sage Crown Parker

August 11th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

lovely!!!
    stopping by via live & enliven, happy to have found your blog:)
    i'm becoming a follower and will stay connected!!
    xoxo
    Sage

August 12th, 2011 at 2:38 am

Tara: I used Orator Std for these pics!!

21. Tara

August 12th, 2011 at 4:01 am

Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it (and I really appreciate that font) !