February 1, 2012

diy | watercolor valentines

Happy February, friends!

Yesterday, I had some fun with watercolors and made a few simple Valentine’s Day cards.  This DIY made me feel artistic (and you’re seeing the extent of my painting abilities) because I can paint words, crooked lines and hearts.  Yeah!  This would be a great DIY for kids or the artistically challenged, like myself.

To make your own watercolor valentines, all you need is the following:
– watercolor paints and a jar of water
– white card stock
– a paintbrush
Then just go crazy with some unmeasured stripes.  That’s really all it takes.
Also, I have to give credit where credit is due.  The love card was completely copied off of Christine Wisnieski‘s beautiful “love” card, and the red stripe card was inspired by these gold striped cards from   Rifle Paper Co (I’ve been drooling over these for a while).
Have fun with painting!

1. Stephanie Leann

February 1st, 2012 at 12:47 pm

You know, I haven't painted with watercolor in ages but this makes me really want to! The little hearts are too sweet.

2. Charity

February 1st, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Excellent. Your art skills are very beautiful. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for sharing. And I was wondering if I could share this DIY on my blog. I would only use one photo and then a link and a little explanation of the project. Would that be ok?

3. Kyla

February 1st, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Ohh, these are so adorable! Handmade cards are always the best. I love how simple these are, with just the pop of red ๐Ÿ™‚

February 1st, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Charity – of course you can share this on your blog!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks so much!

5. Lauren Margaret

February 1st, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Sooooo pretty! I will be attempting something like this soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Anna @ IHOD

February 1st, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Rebecca these are beautiful! Will pin to remind myself to make some!

7. sherri lynn

February 1st, 2012 at 3:15 pm

These are beautiful! So simple but really pretty!

8. Hilary Inspired

February 1st, 2012 at 6:00 pm

These are so sweet and totally achievable!! Thanks for the DIY inspiration!

9. strataflora.com

February 1st, 2012 at 6:03 pm

very cute! good job rebecca! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Lisa (hello, suburbia)

February 1st, 2012 at 6:03 pm

These are so simple yet so pretty! I used to putz around with watercolor and cardstock in high school all the time. Perhaps I'll break the paints out again to make some of these cute Valentines ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Niina - It seems pretty obvious.

February 1st, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I love these! I've actually been thinking about doing something like this ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Jamie Bartlett

February 1st, 2012 at 7:14 pm

These are great! Such a nice simple design for valentines. P.S. I've been drooling over those gold striped cards from Rifle Paper Co. too!

13. Justine @ Urban Scarlet

February 1st, 2012 at 7:20 pm

this is too cute!!! love, love, love – can't believe how simple this really is! gotta give this a try! (oh, and i ADORE your blog! i could spend hours on here!)

February 1st, 2012 at 7:51 pm

thank you for bringing a DIY to the table that doesn't take 43 steps!! these are so classy and simple and anyone you give them to is going to feel so so special that you did something handmade! also, i like how far ahead you're doing the valentines ideas – this kind of game takes strategy and planning ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. Lena at A Crimson Kiss

February 1st, 2012 at 8:33 pm

What gorgeous cards! I just love the teeny hearts!

16. house of earnest

February 1st, 2012 at 11:18 pm

so cute!! I'm inspired and need to break out the watercolors!

17. Shoko

February 2nd, 2012 at 1:12 am

WOW, I love these. Totally inspired.

18. Your Southern Peach

February 2nd, 2012 at 3:31 am

Gorgeous! I absolutely adore watercolor but have never considered trying it myself. This looks fun and easy enough! Thanks for the inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Chantel

February 2nd, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Ha, now here is a painting project I can attempt! Just my skill level!

20. ashley // chasing heartbeats

February 2nd, 2012 at 4:52 pm

these are darling! Valentines are my favorite! and now you reminded me I need to finish mine ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Emily

February 3rd, 2012 at 9:48 pm

super, super cute and not too expensive. I will be making these for sure!

22. Jennifer Young

February 4th, 2012 at 9:13 am

Love. <3. My favorite is the one with the stripes!
    j.

23. Sharon Garofalow

February 8th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I love these!!! I wish I could make them. My hands do not follow directions from my brain. But I guess I could always say my kids made them. ๐Ÿ™‚

24. nooffbutton

February 9th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

This is a beautiful idea! And simple enough for the little one's to do! Thanks so much for sharing!

25. Mich9

March 20th, 2012 at 11:07 am

google knows it ๐Ÿ˜€

26. Mich9

March 21st, 2012 at 5:28 pm

google knows it ๐Ÿ˜€

27. Rafaela Ribeiro

June 12th, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I love this tip and shared on my blog. Checks there:

Kisses and hugs. With love, Rafa.

June 22nd, 2012 at 7:32 pm

thanks for this great idea! i remembered it today when i had a girlfriend over and we had so much fun making simple, beautiful cards like these! i definitely imitated your stripes and cursives – and they look fantastic! thank you so much for posting this great creativity!

29. Anisa Anash

January 25th, 2014 at 9:23 pm

These are very simple and elegant. Just perfect for people like me who don't have the greatest artistic talent! ๐Ÿ˜€