May 31, 2012

diy | hanging plant holder

I was recently at my friend’s house for a graduation party and the backporch was filled with gorgeous hanging plants. After pinning a few inspiration images, I set out to make my own plant hanger. My mom used to make these in the 70s, so she knew a bit about tying knots and what materials to use. These hanging planters are usually made from macrame cord, but I used what I already had on hand – plain white cotton twine – which worked just fine!

What you need to make your own hanging planter
– twine (or macrame cord or some string)
– scissors
– plant in planter
– metal ring for hanging (like these)

This is a very simple hanger, with only ten knots total.

Cut four equal lengths of string (for a 4.5 inch planter, I used four 96-inch pieces and had a bit extra at the end, which I just cut off). Then follow these simple steps.

1. Gather the four pieces of string together at one end and find the middle. Then attach the metal ring by tying a simple knot (knot 1) around the ring. Make sure this knot is very tight. You should now have eight 48-inch strings hanging from the ring.

2. Then, starting with two strings (always use strings closest together), tie a knot approximately 9 inches down from the top knot (knot 2).

3. Repeat the above step three more times with the remaining free strings (knots 3, 4, and 5). You should now have four knots (each about 9 inches from the top knot) with two strings hanging from each.

4. This is the only somewhat difficult step. About 4 inches below your first set of knots, you will create another set of four knots. Tie a single string from one knot with a single string from the neighboring knot (look at above picture) (knot 6). Make sure to always grab from neighboring knots, or else your hanger will be twisted and won’t hold your plant properly. Repeat three times (knots 7, 8, and 9).

To finish the planter, gather the free strings and tie one final knot at the bottom, approximately six inches from the last row of knots (knot 10). Cut any excess string after allowing for a tail.

Then open the web and place your plant inside! Hang from hook and enjoy.

Hope you have a blast with this fun DIY…it’s easier than it looks, and is really rewarding. I’m excited to try it using different string and adding some beads! Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Thursday,

1. Kate

May 31st, 2012 at 9:09 am

This is amazing! Such a brilliantly simple way to display plants!

2. lori

May 31st, 2012 at 10:22 am

WOW! These look great! I love the use of the more modern lucite pot. 😉 Seriously, love the pics. And the DIY.

3. Pink Ronnie

May 31st, 2012 at 12:21 pm

You are too talented, you.
    Love this, Rebecca.
    Ronnie xo

4. house of earnest

May 31st, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I agree with Lori – I think the clear vase makes it modern and love this take on the project – great work!

5. Modern Declaration

May 31st, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Live plants do so much to warm up a space, and I just love the DIY take. So much fun to mix up the pots!

6. la la Lovely

May 31st, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Great DIY! Love this idea, girl!
    xo . trina

7. Naomi

May 31st, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oh wow, I love this! Love how you've gotten a geometric effect with the way you've tied them. So beautiful and minimalist!

8. Shoko

May 31st, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Beautiful and summery! Love.

9. Lena at A Crimson Kiss

May 31st, 2012 at 6:42 pm

How clever, and so gorgeous! I don't remember the last time I practiced my knots, but I'd better sharpen up!

10. How2home

May 31st, 2012 at 8:06 pm

this is such a clever idea! if you're interested in doing a vertical garden, check out our post about it…it'll look great with this idea! http://www.eieihome.com/blog/do-it-yourself-vertical-gardens.html
    Enjoy!

11. Jacquelyn | lark&linen

May 31st, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I've seen this a few times now and I'm DYING to try it myself! Beautiful!

12. Colleen {Two Delighted}

June 1st, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Hi Rebecca! Thank you for your sweet comment on our stenciled pillows post! I just discovered you as well and have fallen for your blog :)! Particularly this hanging plant holder, which I need to make immediately. So beautiful and functional! If only I didn't kill every plant I owned….

13. Jayme and Mendi

June 1st, 2012 at 8:01 pm

LOVE this idea! It's one of those light bulb "why didn't I think of that" kind of things. 😉

We were checking out your blog because we saw you on the registration for Blogger Blitz this weekend. We're attending too. Hope to meet you there!

Mendi & Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

14. Laura Annette

June 1st, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I love plants, and I love displaying them in various fun and unique ways… I just bought an elephant shaped teapot to use as a planter, and I am going to have to try this idea next!

15. Lizzie

June 2nd, 2012 at 5:19 am

Oh, this is awesome! Thanks for the idea and how to!

16. Benlovesting

June 2nd, 2012 at 6:55 am

I heart your blog, so sweet!

17. Samantha

June 28th, 2012 at 1:11 am

Wow, I LOVE this DIY – thanks for sharing! 🙂

18. Gaby de Modacapital

July 13th, 2012 at 11:14 am

amazing!

I really like your blog, I´m following you 😀
    … maybe if you have time, you could visit my blog too, and if you like it, follow me back 😉
    Kisses!

19. 王红

August 17th, 2012 at 6:19 am

Thank you for sharing, so lucky to read your post, i will read your post time to time,thank you!If you like Tods Women Shoes you can come here have a look.include Tods Shoes,Tods Shoes Sale,Tods Shoes Store,Tods Shoes Outlet,Cheap Tods Shoes.

20. florists singapore

March 8th, 2013 at 6:36 am

Excellent idea my friend. This is exactly what I've been observing for for quite a time now… Thanks for this wonderful advantages to post that has been given by you!

21. florists

June 25th, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.

22. The Desert Echo

March 12th, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Lovely, going to give this a try and fill my house with greenery!