February 25, 2013

diy | antler shed candleholders

Today’s DIY is something I’ve been thinking about for a while. My friends from NJ collect antler sheds from their woods, and they’ve been kind enough to give me several. I use them all the time – for photoshoots, arranged around my apartment, etc. But I’ve always wanted to turn them into candlesticks. It happened this weekend, and I’m thrilled with the result. I love the simplicity of the design and the utility of plumbing supplies.
 To make your own pair of antler candleholders, gather these supplies:
– 2 copper bushings (available at hardware stores in plumbing)

– 2 copper caps (available at hardware stores in plumbing)

– 2 antler sheds (available online)
– screw driver
– 2 candles
– 2 screws
– pencil
– drill

The steps are quite simple.
1. Drill a hole in the bottom of each of the copper caps. Make the hole large enough to fit one of the screws. You may want to drill outside.
2. Decide where you’d like the candle to rest on the shed, and mark that spot with the pencil, through the hole in the cap.
3. Drill a hole in the antler shed, where you marked with the pencil. Make sure to drill straight down.
4. Secure the cap on the shed with the screw, then place the bushing inside the cap. You may not need/want the bushing, but it was necessary for mine since the cap was too large in diameter to safely hold my narrow candles.
And you’re done! These candleholders are perfect for a dinner centerpiece, for your coffee table, on a dresser, etc. I’m excited about moving them around the house from time-to-time.
Happy Monday!
P.S. Yes, I love using copper plumbing supplies.

1. Courtneyvk

February 25th, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I love these and the simplicity to them!

Perfect simple DIY
    -Courtney

2. Milynn {Love + Whimsy}

February 25th, 2013 at 9:52 pm

These turned out so good! Such a great way to re-purpose those antlers, now I'm wishing those were accessible to me somewhere.

February 26th, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Milynn, you might be able to order some antler sheds online! Try http://www.monstersheds.com/antlersbypound.htm

4. marlenesauer

May 3rd, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Rebecca, I LOVE this project! It's so simple yet elegant and the photos are lovely. I've featured it on my blog: http://jadeandfern.com/2013/05/03/friday-finds-nice-rack/

5. Amber Koogler

July 30th, 2013 at 2:25 am

I just discovered your gem of a blog! Its seriously beautiful! Love this project and can't wait to explore more! Following you!

Amber@ Dimples & Pig Tales

6. Matt Hardy

September 5th, 2013 at 9:28 am

This blog is very good & informative.I have gain so much information from this blog.I like your blog.Thanks for the post.I am waiting for your new post.
    Plumber Alabaster, Al

7. Mathew Wade

September 7th, 2013 at 8:38 am

You have such awesome post, I have read more about it, But seriously that different learning for me. Thanks for share.
    Plumber Birmingham, Al

8. Farrell Mackennon

February 10th, 2014 at 3:59 am

I really admire these, so creative but simple. Unfortunately there aren’t too many deer antlers around where I live and so I will have to change the design slightly and use cow’s horns perhaps. As a plumber I have all the necessary tools required so this would be an easy task for me, and this design would be admired by my wife I’m sure. It’s her birthday coming up soon so I might get creative this weekend!

9. sanam arzoo

April 1st, 2014 at 8:14 am

your publish is very much valued Thanks for discussing amazing details. I really really like studying and following your publish as I find them incredibly useful and exciting. This publish is similarly useful as well as exciting . Candle