April 4, 2013

diy | concrete + cylinder vase

By now, you should know that I love working with concrete (my favorite product is Rockite, a smooth, quick drying cement product). I’ve made coasters, a candleholder, and a large bowl. I ran out of my first box of Rockite over a year ago and have had a difficult time finding it again. I recently learned that my trusty, locally owned hardware store – Nichols Hardware – has boxes and boxes of the stuff. So, look out for some new concrete projects! I have some big (in size) projects in mind!

Today’s DIY is a concrete + cylinder vase. For the concrete base, I used the exact same process as the coaster DIY.

To make your own, gather these supplies:
Rockite (or fast drying cement)
– Water
– Paper towel
– Plastic utensil for mixing
– Mold (I used a cardboard soup container; you want to find something that is pliable and has a waxy coating on the inside)
Rain gauge (for the cylinder; I purchased mine at a local Lowe’s and the numbers were black, not red; these are a great alternative to test tubes, which I always have a difficult time finding)

Then simply follow these steps:
1 // Pour about 1/4 cup of Rockite into cardboard container. Add just a bit of water, and stir. You don’t want to add too much water (although, you could always just add more Rockite if this happens accidentally). The consistency should be thick, creamy and smooth. Using the paper towel, wipe away any mixture that gathered on the sides of the mold.
2 // Set the mold on a flat, level surface, and insert the rain gauge into the very center of the concrete mixture. You can almost twist it into the mixture, to ensure it’s nice and deep.
3 // Allow the concrete to dry for at least 15 minutes. Then, gently but firmly squeeze the sides of the mold, to release the concrete from the mold. Tip the mold upside down and gently tap the bottom; your vase should slide right out. Be careful not to let the vase fall on a hard surface. Allow the concrete to fully set, which takes about an hour. Over the next few days, the concrete will turn from a dark grey into a nice pale white-ish grey.

I love the simplicity of this design, especially when paired with rustic details, like that cigar box and slab of vintage wood. I think I can safely say that my favorite style for my home is industrial/vintage/modern/natural. Wait, you say, you can’t want everything! Well, I can’t pick just one style; it’s all too interesting and easy for me to fall for!

Have any ideas for future concrete projects I should tackle? I’d love to hear your suggestions!