April 1, 2013

diy | wire hanger towel holder

During the month of April, I’ll be featuring a bunch of “Spring Cleaning” projects, diys, and ideas on A Daily Something! This is the first year I’ve lived away from home (besides college), so I’m trying to establish routines and habits to help keep the house tidy. Especially since we’re having a baby in two months, which means two things: 1) I won’t feel like cleaning then and 2) the amount of “stuff” in our home will increase exponentially.

I’m always looking for new uses for old things. Especially since we’re in a studio apartment, tight on space, and I’m challenged every day to think outside-the-box in terms of storage and organization, all while trying to make our little home as cozy and have as much personality as possible! This wire-hanger-turned-towel-holder DIY is a cinch and will take less than 5 minutes!

As part of my Spring Cleaning, I recently organized our one and only closet. All of our hangers match (they’re black + white plastic, for now…one day I want all wooden), and I got rid of the clothes we don’t wear on a regular basis. I saved a few wire hangers (you know, the ones you get back from the dry cleaners) with this project in mind.

To make your own, all you need is a wire hanger, a wall nail, and a towel. Shape the hanger into a triangle or circle. Hammer nail into wall, place the hanger on the nail, and voila. You’ve made a new towel hanger.

You could use this towel holder in your kitchen, bathroom, or even the bedroom (and hang something besides a towel from it). I just love the simplicity of the design, and the re-purposed hanger looks infinitely better hanging on the bathroom wall than it did in my closet.

Are there any Spring Cleaning projects you’d like to see featured on A Daily Something this month? I’d love to hear any suggestions or ideas you have!

1. Xenia Kuhn

April 1st, 2013 at 12:16 pm

This is a great upcycling DIY. Helps the environment and makes your home cozy. 🙂
    [Lifestyle blog] fashionrolla.com

2. Alysa

April 1st, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Love the circle shaped towel hanger. What a clever idea! Reminds me of the bubble wands my mom used to make. I can't wait to tackle my spring linen closet cleaning! Perhaps you could feature some ideas in April about organizing table decor? I have a cluttered closet full of place mats, table cloths, candles, nicknacks, cloth napkins, vases, etc.

3. Anonymous

April 1st, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Is this an april fool's post?

4. Anonymous

April 2nd, 2013 at 2:29 pm

dude. i thought the same thing.

April 2nd, 2013 at 2:30 pm

haha, nope!

6. Bee Atch

May 9th, 2013 at 4:12 am

It should've been. XD This is highly inconvenient. A thick towel is really too heavy for a poor, old, out of shape clothes hanger. And you'd probably end up pulling the hanger from the wall when removing the towel. Support your local carpenters! Buy a decent towel rack! 😛

7. daniela ortelli

April 2nd, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Great! Could I post it in my blog translated in Italian provided that your blog is indicated as the original source?
    Daniela

April 2nd, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Absolutely, Daniela! Thanks for asking. Send over the link when you have it posted 🙂

9. daniela ortelli

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Thanks so much for the quick and positive reply! I'll do it in a few days. See you later!:)))

10. Lauren Foster

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:23 pm

i love this idea! im seriously going to try it in our new bathroom 🙂

April 3rd, 2013 at 2:26 am

Awesome, Lauren! I have two hanging in my kitchen, and they're working SO well!

12. kate

July 1st, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Wait… this is serious? Like this is actually a thing? A tutorial?

13. Anonymous

July 10th, 2013 at 3:02 am

Why…….

14. Anonymous

August 5th, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Dude. How are you married and pregnant with a brain so…creative…

15. Jacquie H

August 26th, 2013 at 12:07 am

you're on Pinterest, you are drunk! http://www.pinterestyouaredrunk.com/post/53346299116

16. Anonymous

September 9th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

April 1 post. It's an April Fool's joke! It's gotta be! Because no one in their right mind would post this in earnestness.