May 7, 2013

Florals 03 // Picnicking at Lynnvale Studios

For our May flower post, two-thirds of Sweet Root Village (Rachel and baby Mia!) took me out to LynnVale Studios in Gainesville, VA for an afternoon of exploring the farm and modern farmhouse (designed by the owners, Andrea and Lou), collecting ranunculus, and then twilight picnicking. The farm has been family owned for 8 generations, and is situated on the rolling Northern VA countryside. Andrea was a gracious host and I’m already scheming a way to spend the day on the farm again.

Springtime picnics are one of my favorite ways to celebrate and welcome the new season, and the evening with Rachel, Mia and Andrea was simply lovely. Bringing freshly cut flowers along for outdoor dining is a must for me, especially if I’ve just explored for my very own cluster. Ranunculus are the perfect flower with their vintage-like, intricate petals and wild [and sometimes quite willful] stems. My other favorite (and is readily available in fields and along the roadside throughout the summer) is queen anne’s lace!

When I picnic, I love to bring along some of the comforts of home to make the experience beautiful. Linen napkins, recycled jars for drinking, baskets, trays for serving food on uneven ground, comfy blankets. And I almost always choose wooden plates and utensils over plastic or paper; they’re unbreakable, eco-friendly and lovely to look at. It’s easy to bring along a few wooden or pottery serving bowls, too, rather than plastic tupperware. To me, almost half of the fun and enjoyment from picnicking comes from setting up a beautiful blanket or table.

Hope you’re inspired to go outside, enjoy the wonderful Spring weather and brighten up your next picnic with a cluster of freshly picked flowers. They can be wildflowers from a field, a bouquet purchased at your farmer’s market, or flowers picked from your local flower farm. Just bring along a mason jar or some sort of container (or you can just place them on the table or blanket, but they certainly won’t live as long).

A million thanks to Andrea and Lou, for welcoming us to LynnVale and sharing their beautiful land and flowers with us. Cannot wait to work with you all again!

Photography by Sweet Root Village for A Daily Something
Styling by Rebecca Gallop

1. stitchesanddreaming

May 7th, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Those flowers are gorgeous. I have some blue and yellow flowers in my living room that my housemate left, which are currently brightening up my house.

2. Jana @ 365 Day Hand Lettering Project

May 7th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Pretty flowers 🙂 I'm ready for a picnic but its raining here today.
    J

3. Andrea Gagnon

May 7th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Beautiful – love it, so looking forward to more visits from you all!

4. Audrey - This Little Street

May 7th, 2013 at 3:05 pm

You look so beautiful at 8 months pregnant. Can't believe your little girl is almost already here! Loving the inspiration 🙂 xx

5. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com

May 7th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Love all the colors and inspiring photos!

6. house of earnest

May 7th, 2013 at 10:04 pm

SO pretty! look at that bump, you look so beautiful!

7. Brittni

May 8th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

These photos are gorgeous. And the styling? Amazing. Love everything about this shoot Rebecca.

8. Sagebrush Gazette

May 11th, 2013 at 6:42 am

What a beautiful outing! Thanks for sharing!

9. Colonial House of Flowers

May 30th, 2013 at 11:53 am

love ranuculous! and, this post! nice!