May 1, 2013

Mother’s Day Brunch with Cuyana

With Mother’s Day on its way, some friends and I recently gathered for a simple
brunch to honor our mothers. We’ve all moved away from our childhood
homes and have ventured off to new places; we’re putting down our roots,
and forming new friendships. Even though we’re away from our families, I
wanted to do something to honor our mothers this Mother’s Day. What
better way than gathering around a
shared table to celebrate our mothers as nurturers, women, and friends.
And then, our memories fresh with their many gifts and sacrifices, to
leave with a simple memoir of our gratefulness, written and posted to
each far-away mom with care.

Today’s brunch is the third (and last) in my fashion, travel, home series with Cuyana. I worked with them to style a simple brunch, inspired by their gorgeous Japan Home Collection, and featured items from their bread and cheese line. I am so thankful for the opportunity to have worked with Cuyana on this three-part series, featuring items from their fashion, travel, and home collections.

A few friends brought food, and
another made whey lemonade. A favorite dish was Tia’s buttermilk crepes
with greek yogurt and freshly squeezed lemon juice filling. My dear
friends Lauren and Rachel put together effortless arrangements in mason
jars using eucalyptus, queen anne’s lace, peonies, poppies and an
abundance of fresh herbs. Jennifer, the product of her mother’s
invite-the-mailman-to-dinner southern hospitality, opened up her
light-filled home overlooking the Shenandoah Valley. She also designed
the thoughtful gift to send to our mothers – a charming
fill-in-the-blanks card full of personal memories, just to let mom know
we care!

Cuyana’s bread stand, with Tia’s coconut bread.

The prettiest of cheese domes, from Cuyana’s Japan Home Collection, and the most charming hostess.

By the end of our brunch, there were some [happily] tearing
eyes, plenty of smiling faces, and new friendships made. When gathered
around the table, friends new and old felt at ease to share memories,
qualities to emulate, and some humorous stories of their mothers. We
were touched by each other’s openness, and so appreciated getting to
know each other better. What a lovely way to engage in our new
friendships and celebrate family, new and old!
I hope you enjoyed these lovely photos and if you are separated from your mom this Mother’s Day, were inspired to host a brunch to celebrate her!
Concept and styling: Rebecca Gallop
Paper goods: Jennifer Olmstead
Photography and floral design: Sweet Root Village
Crepes, quiches, and other tasty treats: Tia Stockton

1. Amanda

May 1st, 2013 at 1:03 pm

this is so beautiful, rebecca. well done. you have major talent!

May 1st, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Gorgeous, Rebecca!! It really was such a fun time. That picture of Elena made me start laughing at her funny solemn face 🙂 Thank you for taking such beautiful pictures!!

May 1st, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I am so happy you two could join us! 🙂 And that pic … it's one of my faves…her face is PRICELESS! I have a few more of the two of you…I'll send them to you!

4. Jana Miller

May 1st, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Love all the photos and especially love the sandwich holder…so clever!
    J

May 1st, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thanks, Jana…isn't that bread stand gorgeous? It was so perfect for the bread, and would be oh so lovely on a picnic!

6. Lisa (hello, suburbia)

May 1st, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I LOVE this! Everything looked so beautiful and sweet, not to mention tasty 🙂 I can feel the happy and full hearts resonating from this post. Thank you for sharing 🙂

May 1st, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Thanks so much, Lisa :))))

8. Brittni

May 1st, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Gorgeous Rebecca!

9. Sarah

May 1st, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I wish I lived closer to you. Going to one of your parties would be the ultimate pampering mothers day lunch. I don't know when your due date is, but it's close enough to where you are totally on the mothers day band wagon this year =)

– Sarah
    A Girl In Transit

May 1st, 2013 at 7:11 pm

COME VISIT, lady! We can have a brunch just because 😉 And my little one is due June 8….so I'm [sorta] celebrating this year 😀

11. tracyzhang

May 1st, 2013 at 5:07 pm

love the center pieces

May 1st, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Thanks, Tracy! They're the beautiful handiwork of the Sweet Root Village ladies. Their floral designs are stunning!

13. Milynn {Love + Whimsy}

May 1st, 2013 at 8:54 pm

always a beautiful gathering! You are so good!

14. Andrea Vincent

May 2nd, 2013 at 11:45 am

Everything is simply lovely. However, I really NEED to know where the gorgeous blonde got the gray dress!! Love it! And I need the coconut bread recipe!

May 3rd, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hi there, Andrea! I believe the grey dress is from Madewell. And Tia JUST today posted the coconut bread recipe on her blog: http://fibreandspice.wordpress.com/! Enjoy – it's seriously to die for!

16. Pink Ronnie