Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Hello and happy Tuesday! Finally back home in VA and hoping to get back in the swing of things and blogging this week. I'm incredibly thankful for my time in NJ last week; my sister is getting married this August and I was home helping her make some decisions, including her reception venue. I think we decided on this beautiful estate - wish I had known about this place when Joe and I got married! The home has been fully restored, and they're working on the general store and barn. What a gorgeous blank slate...can't wait for her wedding (and for everything to come together over the next several months...Beach family weddings are always a blast and labor-intensive). :)
It's snowing today in Northern Virgina, and Zoe and I have been cuddled up on the couch this morning, finishing season 4 of Downton Abbey. She really enjoys the character development (or maybe just sitting on mommy's lap...). I'm in denial about the snow and cold weather; isn't is Spring already? Growing up, around this time every single year, I'd go up in the attic and bring down my summer clothes. Then I'd parade around in sandals and short-sleeved shirts, freezing. My dad always laughed and would tell me to put on a winter coat and some closed-toe shoes. I've been tempted to do the same this year, but I fear that being a mom has made me a little more responsible. So I'm buckling down, making soup, and accepting the cold. For now. Spring will come. I just know it! In the meantime, this lentil soup recipe is super tasty, easy, and you can really use whatever you happen to have around the house...try different veggies, broth, spices. It's hard to go wrong with soup. And who knows...maybe it'll be the last time we need to make soup before Spring!?
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 stalks celery
- 2-4 carrots
- 1 turnip
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Chop onion and veggies. I like them rather large, but chop them to a size that you enjoy for soup.
- Cook veggies, onion and minced garlic in medium-large pot in olive oil, on medium heat. Don't let the veggies brown, but do cook them almost through.
- Add lentils and cumin to veggies, and stir thoroughly.
- Then add broth, herbs and spices.
- Let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until lentils are cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste. I like to add a lot of salt, but that's just me.
Enjoy with a nice crispy piece of fresh bread!
*Recipe from Dinner was Delicious!