January 3, 2012

recipe | roasted ruby reds

Here’s a tasty recipe for roasted [baked?] ruby red grapefruit, which would make the perfect addition to a wintry brunch or appetizer for an evening fete.

My boyfriend’s sister made roasted grapefruits a few weeks ago for a party she planned.  They were so, so good (and just different from eating grapefruit the regular way) that I decided to try two slightly different (and simple) recipes and report back to you.

Ingredients

– 1 ruby red grapefruit
– 1 tsp butter (at room temperature)
– 2 tsp sweetener

The only thing I switched up in these two recipes was the sweetener.  For one whole grapefruit, I used 2 tsp raw honey, and for another I used 2 tsp agave nectar.  I think the honey recipe was better because this sweetener complimented the grapefruit flavor.

Directions
Preheat oven to broil.  Cut sliver off top and bottom of grapefruit so it remains level while broiling.  Cut grapefruit in half.  Place on baking sheet.  Spread 1/2 tsp butter on each half.  Spread 1 tsp sweetener on each half.  Place in oven, and broil until edges brown ever so slightly (approximately 5-7 mins).  Using tongs, place into assorted cereal bowls or little candy dishes on pedestals.  Serve while still hot.

Apparently I’m a fan of roasting because I recently made roasted almonds and roasted pears.  Maybe it’s because I’m impatient and I like baking at high temperatures to reduce the wait time.  😉

1. Anna of IHOD

January 3rd, 2012 at 3:00 pm

No way!!! this sounds amazing!! Will have to try!!

2. Anonymous

January 3rd, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Looks delish! Did I over look the oven temperature?

January 3rd, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Good question!! Preheat to broil!

4. Sarah

January 3rd, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Oh my goodness this would be soooo good. I love stuff with a tiny bit of a char taste.

– Sarah

5. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com}

January 3rd, 2012 at 11:32 pm

what an interesting idea!! love the sound of it. loving grapefruit currently 🙂

6. la petite coquine

January 4th, 2012 at 5:04 am

These sound absolutely delicious!

7. Shoko

January 5th, 2012 at 5:53 am

Mind is blown. Must try ASAP! Thank you!!

8. ashley // chasing heartbeats

January 5th, 2012 at 8:08 am

these sound delicious! I would have never in a million years thought to roast a grapefruit but definitely going to try this!

9. Marisa Seguin

January 6th, 2012 at 4:30 am

I tried this recently and was really surprised by how much I liked it! I thought warm grapefruit would be weird but it totally works! I put a little brown sugar and cinnamon on top to make it a little bit crispy and sweet.

P.S. Thanks for your sweet comment about my illustration 🙂

10. Page Gerrick

January 9th, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Great idea! They're also amazing grilled over hickory or pecan chips with a bit of brown sugar 🙂