March 8, 2012

diy | flower garland

Last year, my friend Susanna and I made painted coffee filter flowers (that’s when my blog was just a few days old).

Ever since watching this Paolo Nutini video, I’ve wanted to make a white paper flower/tassel garland.    So, I tried it this morning with coffee filters, and absolutely love the way it turned out.  The best part about the coffee filters is they’re pre-cut, and they have pretty, petal-like ruffles.

To make your own, all you need are white coffee filters – large industrial sized filters would be amazing – and white bakers twine.  Cinch the filter at the center to create a “flower” and tie the string around the gathered bit.  Repeat until you have the length you need.  That’s it!

Right now, this pretty garland is hanging by my bedroom window, reminding me that Spring is almost here!  One day, I will have yards and yards of this garland at my wedding, creating a lovely canopy over the outdoor dance floor.  It is so affordable (especially if you buy in bulk) and simple to make!

Hope you have a blessed Thursday, friends!

1. Anna @ IHOD

March 8th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

So simple to do, and lovely result! Keeping this in mind for parties!
    Thanks Rebecca:)

2. Stephanie @ henry happened

March 8th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

First, I have to say I love the name Susanna – that's my sister's name and I never see it spelled that way! But I love this idea – great for spring and I've wanted to so something similar for Halloween (don't they look like little ghosts?) 🙂

3. Anonymous

May 13th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Ghosts were the first thing that came to my mind also lol 🙂

4. sherri lynn

March 8th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I love the airy feel! This would be so pretty at a wedding!

5. Amy Parker Anderson (Parker Etc)

March 8th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

well gosh. that looks like the easiest and most darling project! there's no way I could mess that up!

amy

6. Will @ Bright.Bazaar

March 8th, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Such a simple yet effective idea. So darling!

7. Vanessa

March 8th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Now that I use a French press, this would be a GREAT use for my old leftover coffee filters! I wonder if I could get away with snatching a few at work and decorating my desk area…?

8. Anna Zimmerman

March 8th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Oooh! How pretty is this and your blog altogether? I love it.

9. Lena at A Crimson Kiss

March 8th, 2012 at 7:44 pm

How sweet and pretty!

10. Rebecca @ Bee of Design

March 8th, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I love working with coffee filters- they absorb color so well. (if you are so inclined) Spring is right around the corner.

11. Tamra {ever swoon}

March 8th, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Such a great idea, so simple and so lovely!

12. TASTE

March 8th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

the wedding idea would be magical.

13. Shoko

March 9th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I second what Amy said – there's no way I could mess this up 🙂 Gotta try it!

14. Lisa (hello, suburbia)

March 9th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Well, these are quite darling!! I gotta try this. Perhaps dye the filters in fun spring colors, too!

March 9th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

sooo pretty. i like them for spring, but they'd also look lovely in winter, like snowflakes. having them strung across for the dance floor would be so magical. also why did no one ever think of this for school dances? the colorful ones would be perfect for those.

16. Kara

March 12th, 2012 at 1:32 am

omg, that's so cute! And easy, simple, chic and inexpensive! There's so many possibilities, from leaving it white to dip dying them or painting them. I've been wanting to do some kind of tassel/garland thing in my room- this could be a good option.

17. Gabby

March 13th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh wow! Those are SO pretty! Definitely need to try them out…

Gabby

18. Amanda Rose

March 16th, 2012 at 3:37 am

I tried this except I dyed them! Thank you so much for the idea. I linked your blog in my post, too!

Check it out if you want. 🙂
    Amanda Rose

19. la la Lovely

March 19th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

so cute. i'm about to do something like this for an upcoming project so this is fabulous! thanks for sharing!
    xo . trina

20. Madeleine Yen Vu

October 17th, 2012 at 2:40 am

I did this to decorate my room & it turned out so cute! Thank you for the idea! I linked you in my post & you can look at my blog fancyfwords.com to see how I did things I little differently! (:

<3 myv