Today’s DIY was inspired by the hanging test tube installation made by Jeanette at True Florette for blog bash nyc. It would make a lovely ceiling display, hanging over a dinner table, or even a photo backdrop! Depending on where you hang it, you’d just need to adjust the length of the fishing line.
To begin, assemble these supplies:
– 2 screw hooks
– fishing line
– white electrical tape
– test tubes (I used a mixture of test tubes from the basement, and these rain gauges from Lowe’s – they worked perfectly!)
– a tree branch
1. Screw the hooks into each end of the branch
2. Attach a length of fishing line to screw hooks to hang from ceiling. Temporarily hang branch (I hung it from the fence in the backyard!) to attach test tubes.
3. Cut a strip of electrical tape (long enough to wrap around the test tube). Then cut a length of fishing line to hang the test tube. You’ll want to make varying lengths and the length will depend on where you are hanging the installment and how high off the ground your display needs to be.
Loop precut fishing line over the branch, then attach the fishing line to the test tube using the electrical tape. Press the tape firmly against the test tube. Repeat for all your test tubes.
4. Fill test tubes with water.
5. Arrange fresh greens (I used ferns, tomato plants, and two beautiful weeds – don’t know the name!)
You can hang this display from the ceiling (using these fantastic hooks – I use them all the time), or from the moulding over a doorway. I’d love to see a huge display used as a photo backdrop. Maybe for my wedding?
What do you have planned for the weekend? Any DIYs? I’ll be DIYing fringe, fringe, and more fringe for the decor at Influence Conference! I’m decorating for the Stripes Party, and cannot wait to share what I have planned!
See you Monday!
Discovering how to infuse our lives—ourselves, our work, our relationships, our homes, and our entertaining spaces—with simple beauty, more intention, and slow living principles.
Interested in working together?
Click here to visit the Contact page and get in touch.
Learn more about A Daily Something styling services, content creation offerings and view curated work.
Join the list to receive our thoughtful monthly letters, and to be the first to know of upcoming workshops, dinners, gatherings, and more.
ALL PHOTOS AND IMAGES ON A DAILY SOMETHING ARE BY A DAILY SOMETHING UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED. IF YOU SEE AN IMAGE THAT IS NOT PROPERLY SOURCED, PLEASE LET US KNOW AND WE'LL UPDATE THE INFORMATION! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE A PHOTO OR TUTORIAL FROM A DAILY SOMETHING, PLEASE ONLY SHARE ONE PHOTO, WHICH MUST BE CREDITED AND LINKED BACK TO A DAILY SOMETHING.
SPONSORED POSTS WILL ALWAYS BE DISCLOSED AND ANY GIFTED ITEMS WILL BE MARKED C/O. WE ONLY WORK WITH COMPANIES THAT ARE A GOOD FIT FOR THE A DAILY SOMETHING AESTHETIC AND CONTENT. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE COMPANIES THAT ENABLE US TO CONTINUE PRODUCING QUALITY CONTENT.