September 12, 2013

Florals 07 // Succulents and Terrariums

For our September collaboration, Lauren and Rachel (my dear friends & the lovely ladies of Sweet Root Village) and I decided to dabble in terrariums. I’d been wanting to plant a terrarium for months, and when Lauren visited Philly for the weekend and picked up these terrariums, it kinda sealed the deal. How beautiful are those ceramic bases? I need to figure out a way to DIY them!

Planting
a terrarium was easier than I’d imagined. First we decided which plants we wanted in each container.
Then we layered small stones and dirt, and buried the plants in their
new home. Gave them a little water, and covered them with their glass
roof. Now, the only challenge will
be keeping them alive and thriving…somehow, I manage to kill even
succulents.

Photography and Planting // Sweet Root Village for A Daily Something
Styling // Rebecca Gallop

1. Olivia James

September 12th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

ahhh these are so gorgeous!

2. Kristin

September 12th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

lovely!

3. alexandria

September 12th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Really beautiful! I love the plants you chose.

4. Sarah

September 13th, 2013 at 5:02 am

LOVE!!! I am a sucker for terrariums!!!

5. Maggie Pate

September 16th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I think I found my next DIY project. We had a major dry spell in Tennessee and my garden has withered down, so perhaps focusing on indoor foliage is best!

Hope you are well!!

6. Quyen Nguyen

September 16th, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Beautiful display! I love the grey on the bottom.

7. youngmi

September 17th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

good luck! my succulents died almost instantaneously and my peace lily is quite depressing to look at right now. but i'll keep trying!

8. ginger from bliss-ologie

September 19th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

My favourite thing about succulents…the name. It's one of those words I like to repeat under my breath a few times…succulents…

Beautiful post. I need to work on my green thumb.

September 23rd, 2013 at 2:43 pm

These are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the encouragement that they were easier than you though – these things always sound so messy to me, and then I wonder if it's all going to be worth it or if they're just going to die on me in a couple of weeks. Are yours still hanging in there?

10. Susan Daly

September 24th, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Hey! Congratulations on this… http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-concrete-cheeseboard-a-daily-something-195165

11. phi @PrincessTofu

October 3rd, 2013 at 2:25 am

I need to do this pronto! I have so many succulents sitting in their plastic containers, they keep drying out. These little containers look so nice!

12. Gaby

October 8th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

these are beautiful! glad i found your blog 🙂

13. The 5 Dreamcatchers

February 26th, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Very beautiful!!!

14. Kat Seltzer

March 18th, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Such a lovely post Rebecca. I heart terrarium. I linked to it from my blog katseltzeryoga.com – I hope that is ok with you!

15. Kat Seltzer

March 18th, 2014 at 7:09 pm

PS: Where did you find the bell jars?